Re: Cisco and Nmap Dos

From: Lisa Napier (lnapierat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 19:05:44 PDT

    Hi all,

    An update to this issue:  we have been able to reproduce the problem in our
    labs, but only under specific conditions.  At this point, the customer has
    not been able to confirm or deny the configuration items in effect during
    this problem.

    Essentially what we found was that if fast switching was in use, and if
    there are multiple equal cost routes for the same destination, the router
    will install host routes for each destination to ensure load balancing
    across equal cost paths.

    Under these conditions, scanning an entire class A network will use up all
    of the routers memory in short order.

    To avoid this problem, I would recommend using CEF (Cisco Express
    Forwarding) which handles equal cost paths differently, and more
    efficiently than the fast switching model detailed above.  CEF is available
    in IOS version 12.0 for most platforms.

    Thank you,

    Lisa Napier
    Product Security Incident Response Team