Re: More fun with WWWBoard

From: Chris Ridd (Chris.Riddat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 05:24:38 PDT

    On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 05:09:38 PDT, David Weins wrote:
    > Since I didn't see any of this mentioned in any of the archieved WWWBoard
    > articles from bugtraq, I decidied to send it in.

    [...]

    Does anyone maintain a list of WWWBoard bugs? (As Matt Wright clearly
    isn't interested...)

    > If you haven't looked over the scripts or at least read the entire
    > ADMIN_README file to begin with (which you should do when you download
    > any program) you can see that there is a variable to where to store/name
    > the password file.  This variable is called $passwd_file.  Since the file
    > needs to be open to writings and readings your best bet would be to move
    > the file into a directory where it cannot be access from via the world
    > wide web.  You can do this easily by changing the $passwd_file variable
    > from passwd.txt to "/path/to/non-web/dir/brdpass.txt" -- then rename
    > passwd.txt to brdpass.txt and move into that directory.  It at least
    > provides you with a little more security than this insecure program
    > does for you, or even suggests for you.

    Sometimes you won't be able to do this - for example if your home
    directory is your htdocs directory, which is the case for some ISPs. A
    workaround is to prevent the web server from returning the passwd.txt
    file, whilst still permitting the file to be read/written by the CGI
    script.

    In Apache you'd configure this as follows:

    <Files passwd.txt>
    deny from all
    </Files>

    Cheers,