Everyone writable IIS root directory

From: Nobuo Miwa (n-miwaat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 17:17:24 PDT

    Hi,

    We(JWNTUG(Japan Windows NT Users Group) Security Working Group)
    reported MS about a kind of DoS problem on mailroot and ftproot
    directories of IIS.
    Those directories(C:\Inetpub\ftproot,\mailroot) are readable
    and writable for everyone.
    So we tested following script as C:\inetpub\mailroot\fill.bat

      :fill
      copy drop\*.* pickup
      goto fill

    This script can be executed by any user and hard disk will
    be filled with emails soon after some emails come into "drop"
    directory. We tested also from Terminal Server. It works well.
    In addition, any user can read and write email in drop folder.

    We reported MS and they replied as followings..

    You're right -- those permissions shouldbe tightened.
    We're going to add this to the IIS Security Checklist at
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/iis/CheckList.asp,
    to make sure that customers know that they need to do this.
    Thanks again for reporting the issue!  Regards,

    Secureat_private

    Nobuo Miwa
      A member of JWNTUG Security Working Group
        http://www.jwntug.or.jp

    Special thanks to
      Hideaki Ihara<iharaat_private>
      YOKOYAMA Tetsuya <Yokoyama.Tetsuyaat_private>