Re: Linux GNOME exploit

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 11:04:59 PDT

    >     Virtually any program using the GNOME libraries is vulnerable to a
    > buffer overflow attack.  The attack comes in the form:
    >
    > /path/to/gnome/prog --enable-sound --espeaker=$80bytebuffer

    I can duplicate this for gnome-libs 1.0.8 but not with gnome-libs 1.0.15

    > tried it on (the irony) /usr/games/nethack, which is SGID root by default
    > on RH6.0.  An attack on any program will look something like this:

    Red Hat 6.0 doesn't include nethack. It is shipped on "Power Tools" but not
    a Gnome version.

    Some 6.0 games are setgid "games". I'm not sure it will give a setgid shell on
    those because the gnome games wrapper is at least intended to drop privs
    before the program does anything. It may do.

    > Linux Mandrake release 6.0 (Venus)

    Mandrake != Red Hat

    not remotely.

    Alan