NT Predictable Initial TCP Sequence numbers: SP5 update

From: Roy Hills (Roy.Hills@NTA-MONITOR.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 06:12:06 PDT

    As an update to my post about NT Predictable Initial TCP Sequence numbers
    in NT 4 SP4 on 24 August, I've finally got around to running the TCP sequence
    number tests on NT 4.0 SP5.  Here are my findings:

    SP5 has the same "one-per-millisecond" increment pattern as SP3 and previous
    releases.  So it appears that the change introduced in SP4 to make the
    initial TCP sequence less predictable (but which didn't help and may have
    even made the sequence _more_ predictable - see my previous post for details)
    was taken out of SP5.

    I've also recently seen a totally different NT initial TCP sequence number
    pattern which consists of small positive increments (just like SP4) multiplied
    by 64,000.  I think that this could be a post-SP4 hotfix, but I haven't
    confirmed
    this yet.  I'll post an update when I have more information about this.

    Roy Hills
    NTA Monitor Ltd
    --
    Roy Hills                                    Tel:   +44 1634 721855
    NTA Monitor Ltd                              FAX:   +44 1634 721844