FireWall-1 weakness

From: Hugo.van.der.Kooijat_private
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 22:58:22 PDT

    Hi,

    At present CheckPoint has not seen any reason to see the following issue
    as a weakness in their product. So I now report this here:

    If one takes CheckPoint FireWall-1 v4.0 SP4 (latest version) and build the
    following rule:

    Source:		Destination:	Protocol:	Action:
    Any		citrix-server	winframe	accept

    Where citrix-server is a simple network object and winframe the definition
    as created by CheckPoint.

    This rules allows winframe sessions to pass but should stop other traffic
    as it does some more packet analyses.

    A customer tried to run FTP through it and saw an accept in the log. But
    due to the lack of a server on the other side could not establish wether
    or not there was a leak.

    Recreating this in the lab with telnet showed the same. However putting a
    working telnetd on port 1494 at the specific server did still not allow
    anyone to enter the system. After initial TCP connection setup it seems
    the firewall drops connections.

    But this will lead to two weaknesses:
     1. Any server defended by FireWall-1 could be subject to a DoS attack if
        the server should accept TCP sessions at port 1494. The server allows
        the initial setup and then stops forwarding.

        (That's two dependencies but we are the people that allways assume the
        worst as we are the ones that try to do the worst in such case ;-)

     2. The log only shows a succesfull start of the session but down not
        indicate any filtering. This leaves the operator of the firewall in
        the dark wether or not a session was cut off due to the missing
        winframe signature. So there is no indication off foul play and
        everyone will be assuming things are just fine.

        (We all know that if a firewall is supposed to show dropped packets
        that plenty of people will never look for trouble in the sessions that
        are allowed.)

    I hope that this document will help people understand a oversight in the
    logging/alerting facilities that they have to deal with in FireWall-1.

    I did not test for other types of services that have additional checks in
    them. They may suffer the same lack of logging/alerting in case incorrect
    sessions are blocked.

    Regards,
    Hugo.

    hvdkooijat_private	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
    Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
        email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!