Re: [Fwd: Truth about ssh 1.2.27 vulnerabiltiy]

From: Eric Griffis (egriffisat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 12:04:14 PDT

    This race condition was pointed out to me a little while before my message
    made it to the list, and I am still puzzled as to how one would get the
    timing right to perform such a maneuvre. Is there a way to somehow detect
    that there's been an lstat performed without being superuser?

    Also, I think the amount of processor time it takes to create a symbolic
    link is multiple times larger than the amount of time between the return of
    lstat and actual socket creation, which would require the sshd process to
    hang temporarily or be seriously slowed down. Is that feasible?

    How would these things be done, or is there something I missed? I'm very
    familiar with C and the unix environment, but the security-related aspects
    still puzzle me somewhat. Even though this isn't the most critical security
    issue, I appreciate any feedback.

    Okay, I see a few other messages about popen, permissions and such... At the
    moment, I believe disabling remote agent services entirely is the only sure
    way to remedy the whole issue, which will require password authentication.
    And sshd needs to be run as root to perform authentication. I don't think
    there's an easy way around that one.

    -Eric