Re: [Fwd: Truth about ssh 1.2.27 vulnerabiltiy]

From: Chris Keane (Chris.Keaneat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 11:39:20 PDT

      JL> Seeing the race problems with the previous two patches I thought I
      JL> would take a shot at one.  It changes the effective uid/gid to the
      JL> user logging in before doing the bind() (and then resets them after)
      JL> which seems to take care of the problem.  [ ... ]  The bind() will
      JL> fail if a symlink exists to a file that the user would normally not
      JL> be able to write to (such as /etc/nologin).

    Surely this still isn't ideal, though?  It now won't overwrite root-owned
    files, so the security hazard isn't there, but anyone on the system can
    still fool a user into overwriting one of his own files, which is not
    great.

    Or have I missed something?

    Cheers,
    Chris.

        Hardware Compilation Group, Oxford University Computing Laboratory,
                Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QD, U.K.
        tel:  +44 (1865) (2)73865      e-mail:  Chris.Keaneat_private
                http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/chris.keane/