Buffer Overflows and Remote Root Exploits

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 11:29:17 PDT

    I'm writing a paper on categorizing buffer overflow attacks and
    defenses.  I conjecture (from my experience) that buffer overflow
    attacks constitute a *huge* majority of all remote root exploits (the
    other major category being weak escapes in CGI scripts).  Two questions:

       * Does the community agree with these conjectures?
       * Can anyone cite a paper or statistic to back up these claims?

    Thanks,
        Crispin
    -----
     Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
        NEW:  Protect Your Linux Host with StackGuard'd Programs  :FREE
           http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/