Re: Fix for ssh-1.2.27 symlink/bind problem

From: Eivind Eklund (eivindat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 01:35:02 PDT

    On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 06:38:46PM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
    > I've put together a patch that lets ssh work around the OS bug that
    > allows bind to follow symlinks.

    There isn't general consensus that this is an OS bug.  We (as in
    FreeBSD) have installed a workaround consisting of blocking symlink
    following for the case, but we have not yet decided if we should make
    this permanent.

    In my opinion, ssh is clearly the buggy party here; not following
    symlinks in the OS is just a workaround to avoid buggy programs
    causing problems.  We will only do this if we find that there are so
    few legitimate consumers of the behaviour that we can change it
    without problems - so far, we've only found one consumer, and it is
    only of historic interest, being a part of FreeBSD itself (related to
    /dev/log creation, IIRC) and only present in old versions.

    Eivind.