Re: [Fwd: Truth about ssh 1.2.27 vulnerabiltiy]

From: Sylvain Robitaille (sylat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 09:36:59 PDT

    Chris Keane wrote:

    > Surely this still isn't ideal, though?  It now won't overwrite root-owned
    > files, so the security hazard isn't there, but anyone on the system can
    > still fool a user into overwriting one of his own files, which is not
    > great.

    No. The code in newchannels.c checks to make sure that the directory
    where the socket is about to be created is owned by the user, and
    readable/writable only to this user. A user could create a symbolic
    link that points to some file in a directory they already have write
    permission to, but that's no big feat. (Existing files aren't
    overwritten by bind() either, even when symlinks are followed. If the
    symlink target exists, bind() returns "address in use". At least that's
    the case on Digital Unix.)

    Jeff's patch implements an approach that Dan Astoorian suggested to me
    off the list, and we both agree it is a reasonable approach.

    Sylvain Robitaille                              sylat_private

    Systems Manager                                   Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada