Re: RFP9903: AeDebug vulnerability

From: Enno Rey (ereyat_private-HEIDELBERG.DE)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 15:00:44 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: David LeBlanc <dleblancat_private>
    To: <BUGTRAQat_private>
    Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 8:24 PM
    Subject: Re: RFP9903: AeDebug vulnerability

    >David LeBlanc wrote:

    >One other thing to consider is that when user processes crash, they can
    >sometimes create a user.dmp file, which like UNIX-style core files can
    >sometimes contain information useful to an attacker.  There is a way to
    >turn this off, but I don't recall what it is at the moment.

    Just run drwtsn32.exe from system32, then you can configure the behaviour of
    drwtsn. There is a little hlp-file explaining the contents of the dump file,
    too. (Though this file doesn't treat the subject very deeply, from a
    technical point of view)
    >From time to time, I have to examine the contents of this file; I'm not sure
    whether these contents could be useful for an attacker.

    Regards,

    Enno

    ereyat_private-heidelberg.de