Re: RFP9903: AeDubug vulnerabilty

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 08:37:53 PDT

    At 04:34 PM 10/6/99 +1000, Mark Dixon ext3456 wrote:

    >Even though .rain.forest.puppy has cancelled RFP9903 I think it's worth
    >making a couple of comments...

    >>>1) Find a machine with 139 listening

    >>This is typically an issue when attacking remotely through the Internet.
    >>However, this seems to dissolve when you have internal access (inside
    >>job).  Check out the numbers for the 1999 CSI-FBI incident survey,
    >>regarding internal security problems at www.gocsi.com/summary.htm

    >I have to agree with .rain.forest.puppy here. I need to secure my network
    >against LAN users just as much as outside users. Just look at the number of
    >exploits that appear on bugtraq that require local accounts. These types of
    >problems are still very real.

    I'm not saying the problems aren't real, or minimizing the extent of the
    problem.  All I'm saying is that if you want to pull this exploit off, then
    it depends on several conditions.  This is one.  If I thought a condition
    was difficult to meet, I'd have noted it.  The conclusion I'd draw from
    needing to meet this condition is that you'd be most likely to attack an
    internal network, or maybe a home user's machine - though a home user is
    unlikely to be running the server version, and you can't get to the
    registry in that area on a workstation as less than admin.  So your
    population at risk is largely internal servers.  Whether or not someone is
    likely to attack your own internal server is something I can't judge,
    though it is true that lots of attacks are inside jobs.

    [snip]

    >>>4) Put a binary on the system

    >>If you can run programs, you can (attempt) to use ftp or rcp to pull files
    >>in.  I realize this is dependant on outgoing firewall rules, access to the
    >>commands, etc.  But it's not impossible--these methods have been used by
    >>many people contacting me on the RDS issue.

    >UNC paths work here. If you can setup your own share with guest access I
    >believe you can run whatever you like from it.

    UNC paths may not work in this instance.  Not all paths contained in the
    registry can be remote.  I'd have to test this to be sure, and also note
    that it may be dependent on what user caused the debugger to fire.

    >>> 5) Make something crash that has higher access rights than you do

    >Well here's the real problem. ..I guess you'd just have to hang around and
    >wait...

    This one is likely to be sticky, unless you've got a good DoS that you know
    will work.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private