Re: Win95/98 and Novell client DoS

From: Mike Richichi (mrichichat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 17:12:32 PDT

    Bruce Dennison wrote:

    > FYI,
    >
    > Perhaps this has been reported.  I havent seen it.  If it has been
    > previously reported, sorry.  Consider this a reminder.
    >
    > Novell client opens port 427 TCP.  My services file reports this port to be
    > known as 'svrloc'.  You can bluescreen Win95/98 with Novell Client versions
    > 3.0 and 3.0.1 by sending a SYN to this port, as you would with 'nmap -sS -p
    > 427 <target>'.  This is quite fatal.  The only recovery seems to be a power
    > reset.
    >
    > I am not the workstation, LAN or Novell person in my shop.  Its not my
    > problem to deal with even though I found it.  I can not test this any
    > further.  The only way I have found to stop it is to remove the Novell
    > Client from my machine.  Can someone confirm this?  Does anyone have any
    > more or better information on this?

    This does not happen in the 3.1 version of the Novell Client, and it's
    subsequent service packs (there are 2.)  Anyone using the 3.0.x Novell
    clients deserves what they get :-).  Seriously, this apparently has been
    fixed, intentionally or not, and the 3.1 client is much more stable in
    general than 3.0.x.   The 3.1 client still opens a listener on 427, and
    srvloc is the Service Location Protocol that NetWare 5 uses to locate
    fileservers and such over IP as opposed to IPX.  I'm pretty sure the
    listener goes away if you install the client with IPX only support.  I'm
    however not sure how it gets used at all, since the client usually sends
    SLP requests from a port > 1024.

    --Mike

    Mike Richichi
    Assistant Director of Academic Technology, Drew University
    mailto:mrichichat_private,  http://www.users.drew.edu/~mrichich/