Re: BUG: Win NT TCP/IP Security filters does not get enforced

From: Stefan Norberg (stnorat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 06:21:39 PDT

    Todd Sabin writes:
    > Apparently, the way it works is that for UDP and TCP, you completely
    > disable them by changing their setting to "Permit Only", and don't
    > permit any ports, rather than with the IP protocols box.  Since you
    > left UDP at permit all ports, your netcat test got through.
    >
    > The IP Protocols box is protocols other than UDP and TCP.  Except for
    > ICMP.  You can't disable that at all, as you noticed.  Not being able
    > to disable ICMP was discussed on NTBugtraq a little while ago.

    It seems that you are right.
    I used PPTP (GRE) to test it and the RAS server did send an ICMP message
    back:

    14:49:19.769569 gre-proto-0x880B (gre encap)
    14:49:19.769647 RASSERVER > CLIENT: icmp: RASSERVER protocol 47 unreachable

    However, I still consider it a bug. The GUI is misleading. If I configure
    the TCP/IP security using the GUI to "Permit *only* IP protocols: 6 (TCP)".
    Then EVERYTHING including ICMP and UDP (regardless of other settings) should
    be denied and NT should send an ICMP unreachable.

    /stefan