NMRC Report: Commercial Vulnerability Scanners

From: Simple Nomad (thegnomeat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 07:43:00 PDT

    NMRC has written a short report entitled:

    "Crackers and Commercial Vulnerability Scanners"

                       or

    "I'm a lame cracker and can't get BASS to compile, how
    can I download a commercial vulnerability scanner and
    start checking the entire Internet in 5 minutes?"

    The top commercial vulnerability scanners have little to no security
    surrounding their licensing, making them excellent script kiddie tools.
    These scanners are actively being used by the underground against targets.
    All that is required is a download of the demo version of a vulnerability
    scanner from a commercial vendor, and a little bit of time. Our report is
    available at http://www.nmrc.org/lab/scanners.txt which gives the details.

        Simple Nomad    //
     thegnomeat_private  //  ....no rest for the Wicca'd....
        www.nmrc.org    //