Re: KSR[T] Advisories #012: Hybrid Network's Cable Modems

From: Jon Paul, Nollmann (sinsterat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 00:29:43 PDT

    Sorry, but I missed the first post.

    I tried out all three clients, and they all work against Hybrid radio
    networking modems.  These are used by a number of radio network
    providers, who provide long-haul (20km+) high speed (1Mbps) radio
    service.  The specific one I'm using is the CCM-231 (if you read the
    case) or the CCM-311 (if you use the "version" HSMP command).  NOS
    version 70471.

    At this point, I'd assume that the exploit applies to all of Hybrid's
    product line.

    My provider spoke with Hybrid this morning, and apparently Hybrid has
    a patch for the problem that fixes it in some unspecified way.  According
    to my provider, Hybrid merely said that "only people you allow will be
    able to configure the modems" but that they made clear that remote
    configuration was still enabled.  Maybe they'll use a password (easily
    sniffable).  I think it's more likely at this point that Hybrid will
    merely check the source address (!) of the packets, and compare those
    addresses with a table configured by the provider.

    I'd like to believe that Hybrid will fix this in a sane way, but since
    they're remaining hush-hush about the fix, I think the chances of that
    are very slim.

    --
    Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn                      sinsterat_private
    Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.

    --
    Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn                      sinsterat_private
    Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.
    "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and
    remove all doubt."                                        Benjamin Franklin