Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 overwrite /etc/shadow

From: Ralph the Wonder Llama (sirsykoat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 15:27:13 PDT

    > Brock Tellier wrote:
    >
    > > Any user may overwrite any file with group auth (i.e. /etc/shadow,
    >
    > [sad tale which does not require repeating]
    >
    > Brock, I would like to publically thank you for the auditing you are
    > doing.  And, I suppose, hang my head in shame at the problems you're
    > finding in the process.
    >
    > You are being heard.  Various people and groups at SCO are scrambling to
    > fix what's been mentioned.  Your discoveries are also prompting various
    > proactive security audit efforts.  I'm not in a position to make any
    > promises about results.  I do know that we have good intentions and will
    > try to deliver on them as well as we can...
    >
    > Not an official SCO representative --

    beyond the commentary, which should be spared (personally I'd rather see more
    meat and less of the idle flaming), I really think it should be pointed out
    that the auditing efforts at SCO were not "prompted" because of brocks work.
    I know of people who have been at work doing auditing SCO code before the
    recent release of SCO advisories. Many (not all) of which were fixed before
    these advisories made it to bugtraq. Onfortunately it does take time to notify
    the userbase properly, rather than leaving them like sitting ducks after
    announcing to the world wehre potential security problems lay.

    I'm not trying to downplay brock's efforts (It's great to see a post other
    than [Subject: program -flag `perl -e "A"x2000;` has a hole! ]. However, it
    is unfair to make it out that SCO could give a rats ass about the security
    of its installed userbase.

    Adam