PAM applications running as root (Was Re: WebTrends Enterprise

From: Darren Moffat (darren.moffatat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 14:52:59 PDT

    >You can run the server as root or as some other user. In order to use PAM
    >(Pluggable Authentication Module) it has to run as root.

    A general comment about PAM rather than this specific problem.

    It is NOT a requirement of the PAM framework that application be running as
    root.  There are two cases though that make login type applications need to
    run as root.

    	1) The password is stored in /etc/shadow which only root can read
    	   If the password was in NIS/NIS+/LDAP then the authentication
    	   could succeed are an ordinary user.
    	2) the login application needs to make setuid/setgid calls this
    	   usually happens in the application after PAM authentication has
    	   been completed and is thus nothing to do with PAM.

    	   If the OS has privileges/capabilities then the application would
    	   assert PROC_SETID/CAP_SETID instead of being root to make the
    	   setuid/setgid calls.

    --
    Darren J Moffat

    	This posting is my own opinion and does not constitute official
    			support from Sun Microsystems Inc.