Re: OpenLink 3.2 Advisory

From: Seth McGann (smmat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 18:52:07 PDT

    The NT version is vulnerable to a boundary condition as well.  If memory
    serves (I looked at this last april, so it may be foggy) I was able to
    sucessfully modify the EIP but found no obvious way to get back to the
    overflowing buffer (where my egg would be).  When I left off I found some
    code that would jump me back a little bit before the buffer.
    Unfortunately, the data formed some invalid opcodes, so no luck.  I'm sure
    someone can figure it out, I'm sick having my clock off by 6 hours from
    SoftIce warp :)

    At 18:37 10/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
    >Hmm.  I wonder if I should start numbering these things now. 8)
    >
    >Overview:
    >
    >A serious security hole has been found in the web configuration utility
    >that comes with OpenLink 3.2.  This hole will allow remote users to
    >execute arbitrary code as the user id under which the web configurator is
    >run (inherited from the request broker, oplrqb).  The hole is a
    >run-of-the-mill buffer overflow, due to lack of parameter checking when
    >strcpy() is used.
    <CUT>

    Seth M. McGann / smmat_private        "Security is making it
    http://www.wpi.edu/~smm              to the bathroom in time."
    KeyID: 2048/1024/E2501C80
    Fingerprint 3344 DFA2 8E4A 977B 63A7  19E3 6AF7 4AE7 E250 1C80