Re: Gauntlet 5.0 BSDI warning

From: Keith Young (kyoung@V-ONE.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 14:42:33 PDT

    First, an update. NAI has already released a fix regarding my original
    e-mail. You can download it from:
    http://www.tis.com/support/patch50.html

    Thanks to NAI support for getting a fix out so quickly.

    Strange wrote:

    > According to the folks we asked at NAI in June about the Gauntlet install
    > procedure (on all supported OSes), the install order to be used is:
    >
    > Install OS
    > Install OS patches
    > Install Gauntlet
    > Install Gauntlet patches
    > never install any OS patches again

    True, but many people install the firewall then the OS vendor releases a
    patch.

    > Because of that last nasty gotcha, we use a firewall builder box when we
    > want to "patch" the firewalls.  We then pull the newly-built drives, and
    > swap them into the extant firewall box.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

    You are a stronger person than I... I wouldn't want to have to keep
    securing the OS on a box and "reinstalling" the firewall everytime the
    OS/firewall vendor releases an important patch...  :-)

    > Interestingly, this is what the vendor told us to *always* do, under *all*
    > circumstances.  I'd say that if you're going to apply vendor patches, you
    > should assume you have to do a full Gauntlet reinstall because Gauntlet
    > 5.0 replaces some key kernel items.

    See above....

    > I.e., a vendor patch replaced code that the gauntlet had already replaced.

    Exactly.

    > I am wondering if this is *really* a Gauntlet bug or a Gauntlet vendor
    > documentation bug.

    Which is why the word "bug" never appeared in the original alert. Had
    the M310-049 patch not been required for the kernel patch install, very
    few of us would have run into the problem.

    > (they do not, as far as we could tell, make it plain that you
    > should not apply vendor patches after installing the firewall)

    Not exactly true. Look here:
    http://www.tis.com/support/bsd31.html

    --Keith
    -kyoung@v-one.com