Re: amd remote root exploit code

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 11:30:43 PDT

    Taeho Oh wrote:

    >  This is amd remote exploit code. This is well known bug in the internet.
    >  It's very critical bug, please upgrade am-utils or remove it.
    > begin amd-ex.c
    > /*        Amd Buffer Overflow for x86 linux
    >
    >         Remote user can gain root access.
    >
    >         Tested redhat linux : 4.0, 5.1, 6.0
    >         Tested am-utils version : 6.0

    We finally got around to testing this exploit against a StackGuarded amd.  StackGuard stopped it,
    producing this intrusion detection alert in syslog:

    Oct 20 01:40:47 kryten amd[326]: Immunix type 1 Canary[0] = aff0d died with cadaver bffff34d in
    procedure real_plog.

    For clarification, this test was performed against am-utils-6.0a16-4, which was NOT patched against
    the bug that this exploit attacks.  This is the general point of StackGuard protection: to defend you
    against bugs that you do *not* know about or have *not* patched.  You can get the StackGuarded amd
    here:   http://immunix.org/StackGuard/RH52/RPMS/am-utils-6.0a16-4_SG12.i386.rpm

    As usual, you can get StackGuard compiler and StackGuarded Linux systems at http://immunix.org

    Crispin
    -----