Re: Local user can send forged packets

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 23 1999 - 09:34:56 PDT

    The advisory did not explain what was the cause of the problem.
    (Rant: Why? Will the following explanation help anyone who would not be
    able to find out this piece of information himself to abuse the bug?)

    As far as I can tell, the problem is this: anyone, including mere mortals,
    is allowed to use TIOCSETD. Therefore anyone can set PPP line discipline
    on a tty under his control and sent forged datagrams right into the kernel
    network subsystem.

    I do not believe there is any reason why mortals should ever be allowed to
    use TIOCSETD (at least under Linux), therefore adding something like
    "if (!suser()) return -EPERM;" under "case TIOCSETD:" in drivers/char/
    tty_io.c should fix the problem for 2.0 (things are a bit more
    complicated in 2.2 but we've already got a fix for 2.2). But remember:
    you use it at your own risk, there is no guarantee this patch will not
    kill all your family when used improperly.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."