e/pop vulnerability

From: chaos 255 (chaos255at_private)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 16:31:27 PDT

    Out of the box, the e/pop application has no security settings enabled.  Any
    peer can take control of your desktop without warning.

    The initial configuration not withstanding, I sent an email to
    supportat_private about a vulnerability in the way the software exchanges
    security codes over the network:

    Software Affected
    -----------------
    WiredRed e/pop 2.0.3.125

    Description
    -----------
    Security Codes configured in the e/pop Control Panel are sent in the
    clear. Several security codes can be configured from the e/pop control
    panel:

      Global: must be installed on each e/pop peer in order to
              communicate and is also used to restrict access to the
              control panel.

      Features: Send and Receive codes can be configured for each of the
              following features: Message, Chat, Admin, Remote, and
              AppShare.

    Impact
    ------
    Security codes can be easily snooped and used to communicate with and/or
    take control of e/pop peers that have security codes configured.

    Suggestion
    Send a message digest (e.g. MD5) of the security code instead of sending it
    in the clear.

    The following was the response I received: