Re: HP automountd security bulletin

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 21:03:40 PDT

    1999-10-22-13:45:14 dsiebertat_private:
    > Who is vulnerable?  As far as I know, all of the new generation
    > automounters (the ones that use RPC, support executable maps, and no
    > longer have the /tmp_mnt directory) are vulnerable. [...]
    > The vulnerability lets anyone anywhere run anything as root on your
    > system.  Since it uses RPC, you can't use tcpwrappers to block it or
    > filter an extra port or two on your router.  Unless you have an
    > application level firewall or use the "deny all ; allow these few
    > things" type of router rules, you can get hit.  Even with a firewall,
    > you are still vulnerable to anyone on the inside (I hope you trust
    > them!) [...]
    > What can you do?  If you are running that new generation automounter,
    > unless/until you know for sure you are not vulnerable, I would go back
    > to the old generation one immediately (the one that uses /tmp_mnt)  That
    > one is not vulnerable.

    I'd personally recommend a fix related to ``... or use "deny all; allow these
    few things" tpe of router rules''. Run host packet filtering. That at least
    narrows the attackers down to people on the same machine, which is in many
    settings (e.g. personal machines with accounts only for the local user) less
    of a worry. So use ipchains on Linux or ipfilter on most anything, and set up
    the host to block all but select, chosen protocols at its interfaces.

    These days I set up all Unix systems that way. It's easier than trying to
    strip them of services, and I can do things like run a stock system without
    worrying about security holes in "local-only" services like the X font server,
    all the rpc stuff, etc.

    Just another alternative, somewhat less effective (doesn't help against local
    users) but perhaps, in some settings, less disruptive than trying to go to a
    different automounter.

    -Bennett