Re: Mac OS 9 Idle Lock Bug

From: devbugsat_private
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 07:40:44 PDT

    Please include the line below in follow-up emails for this request.

    Follow-up:  1094807

    Hi Sean,

    Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.  It has been filed into our bug database as ID #2404562.  It will be assigned to the appropriate engineers.

    In the future if you would like to check on any possible status on your issue, please send an email to devbugsat_private referring to the Bug ID #.

    To ensure that the appropriate data is collected, please use the Bug Reporter when sending us your bug reports.   The Bug Reporter can be found at:

      <http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter>

    Regards,

    Sean MacMillan
    Worldwide Developer Relations
    Apple Computer, Inc

    Send follow ups to devbugsat_private
    Send any comments on my work to devfeedbackat_private

    REQUEST ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I know the chatter on Bugtraq is usually reserved for UNIX and NT
    issues, however I found a bug in the Mac OS 9 idle locking function
    that's built-in to the operating system.  It's possible to set up the
    Finder so that, if the current user goes idle, the screen will be
    locked.  A simple dialog box is displayed stating that the system has
    been idle for too long and a password must be entered.

    You have two options.  Click OK and enter the password to return to
    your session or click OK and click Log Out.  It's possible to seize
    control of Mac OS under certain conditions by clicking Log Out.

    Some applications have the "feature" of asking you if you're sure that
    you want to quit.  For example, if connected to a UNIX host using
    NiftyTelnetSSH, it will ask you if you're sure you want to disconnect
    when the application quits.  Other applications with unsaved data will
    ask if you want to save changes.  Most of these dialog boxes have OK
    and Cancel or Yes, No and Cancel for options.  Hitting Cancel at any
    of these "are you use" dialog boxes will stop the logout process and
    return you to the current session.

    Now, being pria UNIX user that also uses Mac OS for graphics
    and Web page design, I realize that relying on Mac OS for physical
    security is about as silly as relying on the Windows 95 password
    "protected" screensaver for security.  I just figured that I'd point
    out this small issue because the Mac OS 9 ads seem to be pushing the
    added security benefits of upgrading to Mac OS 9 and its voiceprint
    password protection.

    /Sean/

    TIME IN:			26-Oct-1999  07:43 PDT
    TIME OUT:		27-Oct-1999  07:21 PDT