Blocking IP Options (was Re: Remote DoS in Axent's Raptor 6.0)

From: kadokevat_private
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 09:09:02 PDT

    > 	Can anyone point me to some info on blocking ip options?
    > 	A search of cisco's site and dejanews does not show anything.
    >
    > Hal Kuff
    > TESSCO Technologies

    IOS has support for blocking a few IP Options, including source route and
    IP security, however the PIX firewall seems to be the only Cisco product that
    appears to block the more obscure options.

    Darren Reed's IP Filter, (see http://newcoombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ for details)
    is a free packet filter as a loadable kernel module, runs on many Unix
    platforms, and is included in the current (Free|Net|Open)BSD distributions.

    IP Filter (ipf) can block IP Options and all short fragments.  Where I have
    installed ipf, the ipf.rules file usually begins with:

    	block in quick from any to any with short frag
    	block in quick all with ipopts

    I usually then go on to block spoofed packets, including the RFC 1597 source
    addresses, and for the truly paranoid, any packets claiming the 127. network
    exists on other than the loopback interface.

    Kevin