Re: Amanda multiple vendor local root compromises

From: Chris Tobkin (tobkinat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 13:20:22 PST

    [...]
    > DETAILS:
    >
    > Amanda's "runtar" program, suid root by default on FreeBSD 3.3, calls
    > /usr/bin/tar and passes all args given to runtar to this program. Tar is
    > thus run with root permissions and is vulnerable to all of the same
    > attacks on suid programs that it would have if it were suid itself.

    [...]
    > WHO IS VULNERABLE:
    > Anyone running a suid version of runtar should be suspicious.  I've not
    > tested any other O.S.'s except FreeBSD 3.3, which includes amanda 2.3.0
    > and 2.4.1 as "additional packages" on the install CD and tar-1.11.2.
    [snip]

    I doubt that this is OS specific in the installation, but all the installs
    of amanda i've seen (and have running here) have runtar suid root, but
    perm'd to 7450 (other can't exec it).  It may be part of the packages
    bundled with FreeBSD.. All of our builds are local compilations from
    source...  (In fact, all the suid binaries installed by a `make install`
    are perm'd o-rwx  and have a gid of sys or other) -- All I have for
    reference here are solaris and AIX machines.. can anyone else confirm?

    // chris
    tobkinat_private

    Chris Tobkin                                               tobkinat_private
    Java and Web Services - Academic and Distributed Computing Services - UMN
            "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
            - Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet, writer, and philosopher