Re: AW: Mac OS 9 Idle Lock Bug

From: Greg Francis (francisat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 13:26:18 PST

    On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Mike Eldridge wrote:

    > So, the current solution is to close all applications when locking your
    > session so that it is not possible to circumvent the logout process.

    If you save all documents before locking the computer, that should work
    also. Most apps will quit without a dialog box even with documents open if
    the document has not had any changes made to it since it was last saved.

    > I'm sure Apple will have a fix ready for this as soon as humanly possible
    > since they are touting the security benefits of MacOS 9.  In my opinion,
    > the option to logout should be removed altogether, as you should have to
    > supply the password to logout anyway.

    Apple may be touting security benefits but they are also very concerned
    about their HIG (Human Interface Guidelines). Having no option to logout
    without a password would be problamatic if the person that knows the
    password has left. Wonder if they could send the 'quit' AppleEvent, let
    the applications that can quit, quit, and then post a warning that
    documents may be lost for the "following applications" which are the ones
    that are still open. It will take some thought on the part of Apple to
    solve this.

    > I find closing confirmations extremely useful, as anyone could
    > accidentally close a document they are working on.  But yes, to close an
    > application without asking, there would have to be another event or you
    > would have to have the OS simply kill the process and forget cleanly
    > exiting the application.

    Perhaps sending the 'quit' event first and then killing those that don't
    quit in a certain period of time.

    Greg

    Greg Francis                                Gonzaga University
    Unix System Administrator                   Spokane Washington
    francisat_private                         509-323-6896