Re: Unqualified Postings

From: Elias Levy (aleph1at_private)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:16:12 PST

    I am killing this thread. That being said the reason I approved the
    message in the first place is to respond to it publicly as other people
    may be asking themselves the same question.

    As other have already pointed out these free or shareware programs
    can actually surpass many commercial programs in number of installations.
    How many people are using WinGate? More than those using MS Proxy.
    Who many people are using one of the free SMTP/POP/IMAP servers? More than
    those using MS Exchange.

    Please note that this is not limited to Windows programs. Go visit
    freshmeat.net and download some linux/open source programs and see
    how many you can break. These programs are in use every day by many people.

    A vulnerability in one of these programs is a just a important as a
    vulnerability in a MS product or Solaris. Maybe the people using them should
    not have as high an expectation of quality/security. Nonetheless they
    programs are deployed and people are vulnerable. So yes, posts pointing
    out vulnerabilities in such programs are welcomed on the list.

    --
    Elias Levy
    Security Focus