Re: Fix for ssh-1.2.27 symlink/bind problem

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:39:08 PST

    Eivind Eklund:
    > On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 06:35:56PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
    > > ssh starts up with the unprivileged real UID of the user; therefore
    > > setting the effective UID also to that of the user makes the process
    > > memory accessible for unprivileged access. This is how any reasonable
    > > UNIX system works, not just Solaris.
    >
    > I disagree.  A reasonable system tracks whether a process has ever had
    > elevated privileges, and deny access to process memory (core dumps,
    > debugger attachments) if it has had.

    Some people live in a dream.

    There is no standard that requires that UNIX systems disallow
    process memory access after privilege changes.

    A security-sensitive application must be prepared to deal with the
    semantics of REAL SYSTEMS that conform to standards.

    To summarize this thread: there was no need to break up the ssh
    client into two processes in order to prevent unprivileged access
    to host keys, even on systems with standard, but imperfect, semantics.

    	Wietse