NeoPlanet Saves all emails in Plain text

From: James J. Capone (jamesat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 16:01:09 PST

    DISCLAIMER:
                                This email was also submitted to NeoPlanet before
    submitted to BUGTRAQ. Look for a fix in the future.

          Per viewing the Directory structure of the NeoPlanet browser, I found
    that it caches and saves all the email you send and or reply and or receive, in
    plain text on the harddrive.

    It saves the email in a directory called _tempe it is a Subdirectory in the
    NeoPlanets Main directory. Each email you send, respond to, or receive is
    easily read from any computer in any text editor I.E. Notepad or Word Pad. Each
    email saved as a Numbered text file. Example.

    0001.txt
    0002.txt
    0003.txt etc...

    This email contains all the information in it, The entire header of the email,
    text, the To: CC: Subject and From. So if you get email with sensitive
    information in it, Like Passwords and more, It can be read in any area. Also if
    someone creates an exploit that sees the name of the browser as being
    "NEOPLANET" then it can attempt to DL all the .txt file in this directory into
    a private server to be read later. This is only noticed in the Version 5.0 of
    Neo Planet.  Also if you are on a network with a shared drive, the World
    Per-Say could read all of your emails.

    FIX:

        Unknown as of now, The only thing I can think of is to maybe do a read-only
    on the directory. This is also bad for people on a Network/ Intranet with
    shared Public access to their computers.

    James J. Capone

    WebMaster http://majestic.webprovider.com
    WebMaster http://linuxusers.webprovider.com

    "When you don't know what you want, you often end up where you don't want to
    be."