More Alibaba Web Server problems...

From: Kerb (kerbat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 15:19:22 PST

    Hello BugTraq'ers.  I've yet to get around to writing the exploit for
    Alibaba that was previously described, but I have found new
    bugs.  Using specially formed URL's, I was able to list,
    view, create, delete, and/or execute any file I wanted.
    Here are a few examples:

    http://www.victim.com/cgi-bin/get32.exe|echo%20>c:\command.com
    allowed me to overwrite the command.com file.  No explanation
    necessary there.  Also, I was able to echo machine code bytes into
    a file, so the possiblity of a trojan enters the picture.  If they had FTP
    running, I guess it wouldnt be much more than a trivial task to write
    a URL that copies the trojan binary into the CGI directory and point
    your browser at the trojan to execute it.  Or even easier, just create
    a URL that will write the binary data of the trojan into an EXE right
    in the CGI directory.

    http://www.victim.com/cgi-bin/alibaba.pl|dir
    allowed me to have a directory listing of all files in CWD, which happens to be
    the CGI
    directory.  This could be useful for a couple things.  One, finding out the
    full path to
    the CGI directory, for using exploits such as the one listed before this one.
     Another
    would be to find files for overwriting (using the > operator) or executing.
     Another
    possible use would be to list all *.pwl in the windows directory.

    http://www.victim.com/cgi-bin/tst.bat|type%20c:\windows\win.ini
    This URL allowed me to view the entire contents of the c:\windows\win.ini file.
    No explanation necessary there.

    I chose those 3 CGI's (out of the 15 that came with my install) because they
    are of different types; an EXE, a PL, and a BAT.  Basically the examples I
    used above are just ideas of what CAN be done.

    BTW, I didnt bother to notify Alibaba, as this "is freeware"
    so they "don't offer any support" as I believe it was worded.

    -Kerb-