Palm Hotsync vulnerable to DoS attack

From: Aviram Jenik (aviramat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 13:18:30 PST

    Hi.

    In the spirit of w00giving, we did a little research on attacks that can be
    performed on the Palm Pilot (we're also searching for tools that can turn
    the Palm into an attacking tool, but that's another thing).
    A hotsync DoS attack is not as sexy as breaking to networks via printers,
    but it still deserves some attention ;-)

    The Palm Hotsync manager is vulnerable to a buffer overflow attack that can
    crash the hotsync application and possibly be used to execute arbitrary code
    on the machine running the hotsync.

    Vulnerable systems:
    HotSync Manager 3.0.4 under Windows 98

    Non Vulnerable systems:
    HotSync Manager under Windows 2000

    Details
    --------
    When the Hotsync manager is set to 'network' mode, it listens on port 14238.
    By sending a large amount of data to that port followed by a newline, it's
    possible to crash the HotSync application.
    3Com has been notified of this, and promised that the next release of the
    Hotsync manager will be fixed.

    Our full advisory can be found at:
    http://www.securiteam.com/exploits/
    Palm_HotSync_Manager_is_vulnerable_to_Denial_of_Service_attack.html

    (NOTE: URL wrapped)

    Aviram Jenik
    SecuriTeam
    http://www.SecuriTeam.com