Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-042

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 15:18:30 PST

    The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
    Notification Service.

    Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
    mailbox.
                        ********************************

    On October 15, 1999, Microsoft released Security Bulletin MS99-042, which
    discussed the availability of a patch that eliminates the "IFRAME
    ExecCommand" vulnerability in Microsoft(r) Internet Explorer 4.01 and 5.0.
    However, we subsequently determined that the patch contained a regression
    error.  While the patch did provide protection against the "IFRAME
    ExecCommand" vulnerability, it re-exposed a previously-patched security
    vulnerability.  We have corrected the regression error and re-released the
    patch.

    We have updated the security bulletin and FAQ, and it is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms99-042.asp.  The updated
    bulletin contains information on the vulnerability, the regression error,
    and the updated patch.  Please note that the regression error only affected
    the IE 5.0 version of the patch; the patch for IE 4.01 was unaffected, and
    customers who applied it do not need to take any action.

    We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this incident, and are working
    to improve our process in order to prevent similar incidents in the future.
    Regards,

    The Microsoft Security Response Team