undocumented bugs - nfsd

From: Mariusz Marcinkiewicz (tmoggat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 02:39:39 PST

    Hi,
    this is voice of lam3rZ (.pl)

    -- Introduction -

    After reading lcamtuf's posts I decided write this one. Few months ago one
    of my friends - digit - found bug in linux nfsd daemon. I made example
    sploit about IV 1999. Now in distributions is new nfsd and nowhere was
    information about security weaknes of old version!

    -- Affected -

    One time more affected distribution is RedHat 5.2 and Debian 2.1,
    Slackware isn't vulnerable even there is *same* version of nfsd.
    It's hard to say bug is local or remote, read description please.

    -- Description -

    Linux rpc.nfsd has real_path bug. When user has been trying access
    directory with long path nfsd got SIGSEGV. There was buffer overflow which
    we can exploit and get root privileges on server machine. I don't remember
    all of details but I'll try write few words ;)
    length of path is checked if user is trying make long-path-directory by
    nfs but isn't checked when he is trying remove it. One way to exploit
    this bug is creating long-path-dir localy and later rm it by nfs. In some
    cases bug can be exploited remotely: if attacker has write access to
    exported directories by ftpd.

    that's all folks.

    cya

    __
    Mariusz Marcinkiewicz | phone: +48 601 080 286 | mail: manyat_private
    System Administrator && Tech Support  <tmoggat_private>  http://www.zigzag.pl
    Security Advisor tmoggat_private http://www.hert.org [*] http://lam3rz.hack.pl