Re: FreeBSD 3.3's seyon vulnerability

From: Bill Fumerola (billf@CHC-CHIMES.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 08:57:30 PST

    On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Brock Tellier wrote:

    > In preparing for this advisory release, I checked for "seyon" vulnerabilities
    > in the bugtraq archives.  I found that the exploit I had developed had already
    > been discussed in May 1997.  However, this does not change the fact that the
    > current version of FreeBSD still ships a vulnerable version with vulnerable
    > privs.  I believe this is still worth noting.  Here is my advisory as it was
    > to be published before the previous vulnerability came to light.

    <not speaking on behalf of FreeBSD>

    It would be nice if you:

    (a) filed a pr using send-pr(1) or the web interface
    or
    (b) contacted security-officerat_private
    or
    (c) sent mail to the maintainer of the port

    to provide some sort of fighting chance before mailing Bugtraq. I'm
    a huge bugtraq/full-disclosure advocate, but I also believe in giving
    a group a fighting chance to fix it first.

    Thanks,

    --
    - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
    - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerolat_private - billfat_private  -