CERT Advisory CA-99.14 - Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 10:03:13 PST

    CERT Advisory CA-99-14 Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND

       Original release date: November 10, 1999
       Last revised: --
       Source: CERT/CC

       A complete revision history is at the end of this file.

    Systems Affected

         * Systems running various versions of BIND

    I. Description

       Six vulnerabilities have been found in BIND, the popular domain name
       server from the Internet Software Consortium (ISC). One of these
       vulnerabilities may allow remote intruders to gain privileged access
       to name servers.

    Vulnerability #1: the "nxt bug"

       Some versions of BIND fail to properly validate NXT records. This
       improper validation could allow an intruder to overflow a buffer and
       execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the name server.

       NXT record support was introduced in BIND version 8.2. Prior versions
       of BIND, including 4.x, are not vulnerable to this problem. The
       ISC-supplied version of BIND corrected this problem in version 8.2.2.

    Vulnerability #2: the "sig bug"

       This vulnerability involves a failure to properly validate SIG
       records, allowing a remote intruder to crash named; see the impact
       section for additional details.

       SIG record support is found in multiple versions of BIND, including
       4.9.5 through 8.x.

    Vulnerability #3: the "so_linger bug"

       By intentionally violating the expected protocols for closing a TCP
       session, remote intruders can cause named to pause for periods up to
       120 seconds.

    Vulnerability #4: the "fdmax bug"

       Remote intruders can consume more file descriptors than BIND can
       properly manage, causing named to crash.

    Vulnerability #5: the "maxdname bug"

       Improper handling of certain data copied from the network could allow
       a remote intruder to disrupt the normal operation of your name server,
       possibly including a crash.

    Vulnerability #6: the "naptr bug"

       Some versions of BIND fail to validate zone information loaded from
       disk files. In environments with unusual combinations of permissions
       and protections, this could allow an intruder to crash named.

    Other recent BIND-related vulnerabilities

       AusCERT recently published a report describing denial-of-service
       attacks against name servers. These attacks are unrelated to the
       issues described in this advisory. For information on the
       denial-of-service attacks described by AusCERT, please see AusCERT
       Alert AL-1999.004 available at:

       ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-1999.004.dns_dos

    II. Impact

    Vulnerability #1

       By exploiting this vulnerability, remote intruders can execute
       arbitrary code with the privileges of the user running named,
       typically root.

    Vulnerabilities #2, #4, and #5

       By exploiting these vulnerabilities, remote intruders can disrupt the
       normal operation of your name server, possibly causing a crash.

    Vulnerability #3

       By periodically exercising this vulnerability, remote intruders can
       disrupt the ability of your name server to respond to legitimate
       queries. By intermittently exercising this vulnerability, intruders
       can seriously degrade the performance of your name server.

    Vulnerability #6

       Local intruders who gain write access to your zone files can cause
       named to crash.

    III. Solution

    Apply a patch from your vendor or update to a later version of BIND

       Many operating system vendors distribute BIND with their operating
       system. Depending on your support procedures, arrangements, and
       contracts, you may wish to obtain BIND from your operating system
       vendor rather than directly from ISC.

       Appendix A contains information provided by vendors for this advisory.
       We will update the appendix as we receive more information. If you do
       not see your vendor's name, the CERT/CC did not hear from that vendor.
       Please contact your vendor directly.

    Appendix A. Vendor Information

    Vendor Name

    Caldera

       See ftp://ftp.calderasystems.com/pub/OpenLinux/updates/2.3/current
    MD5s
            db1dda05dbe0f67c2bd2e5049096b42c  RPMS/bind-8.2.2p3-1.i386.rpm
            82bbe025ac091831904c71c885071db1  RPMS/bind-doc-8.2.2p3-1.i386.rpm
            2f9a30444046af551eafd8e6238a50c6  RPMS/bind-utils-8.2.2p3-1.i386.rpm
            0e4f041549bdd798cb505c82a8911198  SRPMS/bind-8.2.2p3-1.src.rpm

    Compaq Computer Corporation

       At the time of writing this document, Compaq is currently
       investigating the potential impact to Compaq's BIND release(s).

       As further information becomes available Compaq will provide notice of
       the completion/availability of any necessary patches through AES
       services (DIA, DSNlink FLASH and posted to the Services WEB page) and
       be available from your normal Compaq Services Support channel.

    Data General

       We are investigating. We will provide an update when our investigation
       is complete.

    Hewlett-Packard Company

       HP is vulnerable, see the chart in the ISC advisory for details on
       your installed version of BIND. Our fix strategy is under
       investigation, watch for updates to this CERT advisory in the CERT
       archives, or an HP security advisory/bulletin.

    IBM Corporation

       The bind8 shipped with AIX 4.3.x is vulnerable. We are currently
       working on the following APARs which will be available soon:

       APAR 4.3.x: IY05851

       To Order

       APARs may be ordered using Electronic Fix Distribution (via FixDist)
       or from the IBM Support Center. For more information on FixDist,
       reference URL:

       http://aix.software.ibm.com/aix.us/swfixes/

       or send e-mail to aixservat_private with a subject of "FixDist".

       IBM and AIX are registered trademarks of International Business
       Machines Corporation.

    The Internet Software Consortium

       ISC has published an advisory regarding these problems, available at

       http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html

       The ISC advisory also includes a table summarizing which versions of
       BIND are susceptible to the vulnerabilities described in this
       advisory.

    OpenBSD

       As far as we know, we don't ship with any of those vulnerabilities.

    Santa Cruz Operation, Inc

       Security patches for the following SCO products will be made available
       at http://www.sco.com/security

       OpenServer 5.x.x, UnixWare 7.x.x, UnixWare 2.x.x

    Sun Microsystems

       Vulnerability #1

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, and 7 are not vulnerable.

       Vulnerability #2

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6, and 7 are not vulnerable.

       Vulnerability #3

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6 are not vulnerable.
              Sun will be producing patches for Solaris 7.

       Vulnerability #4

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6 are not vulnerable.
              Solaris 7 is probably not vulnerable. We are still
              investigating.

       Vulnerability #5

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6 are not vulnerable.
              Sun will be producing patches for Solaris 7.

       Vulnerability #6

       Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1, and 2.6 are not vulnerable.
              Sun will be producing patches for Solaris 7.

       The CERT Coordination Center would like to thank David Conrad, Paul
       Vixie and Bob Halley of the Internet Software Consortium for notifying
       us of these problems and for their help in constructing the advisory,
       and Olaf Kirch of Caldera for notifying us of some of these problems
       and providing technical assistance and advice.

       This document is available from:
       http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-14-bind.html

    CERT/CC Contact Information

       Email: certat_private
              Phone: +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
              Fax: +1 412-268-6989
              Postal address:
              CERT Coordination Center
              Software Engineering Institute
              Carnegie Mellon University
              Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
              U.S.A.

       CERT personnel answer the hotline 08:00-20:00 EST(GMT-5) / EDT(GMT-4)
       Monday through Friday; they are on call for emergencies during other
       hours, on U.S. holidays, and on weekends.

    Using encryption

       We strongly urge you to encrypt sensitive information sent by email.
       Our public PGP key is available from

       http://www.cert.org/CERT_PGP.key

       If you prefer to use DES, please call the CERT hotline for more
       information.

    Getting security information

       CERT publications and other security information are available from
       our web site

       http://www.cert.org/

       To be added to our mailing list for advisories and bulletins, send
       email to cert-advisory-requestat_private and include SUBSCRIBE
       your-email-address in the subject of your message.

       Copyright 1999 Carnegie Mellon University.
       Conditions for use, disclaimers, and sponsorship information can be
       found in

       http://www.cert.org/legal_stuff.html

       * "CERT" and "CERT Coordination Center" are registered in the U.S.
       Patent and Trademark Office.

       NO WARRANTY
       Any material furnished by Carnegie Mellon University and the Software
       Engineering Institute is furnished on an "as is" basis. Carnegie
       Mellon University makes no warranties of any kind, either expressed or
       implied as to any matter including, but not limited to, warranty of
       fitness for a particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity or
       results obtained from use of the material. Carnegie Mellon University
       does not make any warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from
       patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.

       Revision History
    November 10, 1999:  Initial release