Re: your mail

From: Brian Wellington (bwellingat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 11:39:18 PST

    On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Anonymous wrote:

    > Ooh, those pesky NXT records.  Like I process those every day.
    > Fascinating read in RFC 2535, but suppose I don't have any NXT
    > records in my own zones, under what circumstances will my DNS server
    > commit the sin of "the processing of NXT records"?  In other words,
    > are all of us vulnerable (even caching-only name servers if so, I
    > imagine!), or only people with NXT records?  This makes a big difference!

    Caching-only servers are also vulnerable.  The NXT record is no different
    that any other DNS record in this case.  If someone is able to make your
    server fetch a maliciously-constructed NXT record, it will cause problems.
    A query to a caching server will force the server to send a recursive
    query, which makes the caching server vulnerable.

    Brian