Re: BIND bugs of the month

From: D. J. Bernstein (djbat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 17:14:24 PST

    A sniffing attacker can easily forge responses to your DNS requests. He
    can steal your outgoing mail, for example, and intercept your ``secure''
    web transactions. This is obviously a problem.

    We know how to solve this problem with cryptographic techniques. DNSSEC
    has InterNIC digitally sign all DNS records, usually through a chain of
    intermediate authorities. Attackers can't forge the signatures.

    Of course, this system still allows InterNIC to steal your outgoing
    mail, and intercept your ``secure'' web transactions. We know how to
    solve this problem too. The solution is simpler and faster than DNSSEC,
    though it only works for long domain names: use cryptographic signature
    key hashes as domain names.

    But all this cryptographic work accomplishes _nothing_ if the servers
    are subject to buffer overflows! An attacker doesn't have to bother
    guessing or sniffing query times and IDs, and forging DNS responses,
    if he can simply take over the DNS server.

    This NXT buffer overflow isn't part of some old code that Paul Vixie
    inherited from careless graduate students. It's new code. It's part of
    BIND's DNSSEC implementation. I don't find the irony amusing. Obviously
    ISC's auditing is inadequate.

    Does anyone seriously believe that the current BIND code is secure? If
    it isn't, adding DNSSEC to it doesn't help anybody. Is ISC going to
    rewrite the client and server in a way that gives us confidence in
    their security?

    David R. Conrad writes:
    > In addition, we recommend running your nameserver as non-root and
    > chrooted (I know setting this up is non-trivial -- it'll be much, much
    > easier in BINDv9).

    ``I wouldn't consider installing named any other way,'' I told Vixie in
    September 1996. He didn't respond. Of course, DNSSEC is equally useless
    either way; the only question is whether an attacker can also take over
    the rest of the machine.

    ---Dan