Re: your mail

From: Firstname Lastname (teakat_private-RUM.ORG)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 09:25:54 PST

    On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Anonymous wrote:

    > Ooh, those pesky NXT records.  Like I process those every day.
    > Fascinating read in RFC 2535, but suppose I don't have any NXT
    > records in my own zones, under what circumstances will my DNS server
    > commit the sin of "the processing of NXT records"?  In other words,
    > are all of us vulnerable (even caching-only name servers if so, I
    > imagine!), or only people with NXT records?  This makes a big difference!

    I won't go into exact details of exploiting the vuln. because it gets
    kinda hairy, but it's a real threat.
    I can get EIP on multiple versions of BIND. tested so far:

      812-t3b, 812-t4b, 812, and 821

    exploit has failed on a particular 812 binary i have, but a recent 812
    binary (both of these bins compiled from source retrieved from isc.org)
    was exploitable. go figure. i also have an 812-t3b binary which the
    exploit does not work on. so far, i can't find a pattern as to which
    versions of bind actually process NXT RR's. as i said, i had two binaries
    of 812 release--one processed NXT RR's and the other didn't.

    the overflow takes place processing *ANY* answer from another nameserver.
    all the answer needs to contain is a properly formatted NXT record. it
    doesn't matter whether it answers the question, but the answer name must
    match the queried name.

    nimrood