NEUROCOM: Nashuatec D445/435 vulnerabilities updated

From: gregory duchemin (veilleat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 10:27:21 PST

    Hi,

    my last message concerning three commons vulnerabilities on Nashuatec printers model D445 is also available for the D435 series.

    These two models of printers are vulnerables to:

    1- ftp bounce attack
    2- adm web server cgi buffer overflow ( eg: reset )
    3- (icmp redirect storm) denial of service attack

    now a little update (about the two series):

    4- By default, a "guest" account (password guest) allow everybody to authenticate himself to the telnet service. That's not exactly what we should call a security hole since everybody can connect to the web server with exactly the same priviledge and without any needed authentication.

    5- the telnetd daemon no longer listen on its port after only one syn stealth scan (try nmap "-sS" option).This behavior suggest that this version of telnetd is unable to manage simultaneous connection requests resulting in a possible denial of service attack.

    Have a nice day

    Gregory Duchemin
    Security & networks Engineer

    Email: veille@securite-internet.com