Re: Oracle 8 root exploit

From: Adam and Christine Levin (levinsat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 12:58:09 PST

    On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Elias Levy wrote:
    > One must wonder if Oracle fixed the real problem (dbsnmp being suid root
    > and trusting ORACLE_HOME) or whether they simply fixed the way the exploit
    > the problem originally posted by Gilles, thus leaving the exploit by Brook
    > still working.
    > I would appreciate it if someone could apply the patch and verify that
    > neither of the attack methods work any longer.

    I installed the patch.  I'm running Oracle 8.0.5 on SPARC Solaris 2.6 with
    recommended patches and y2k patches.

    The Oracle patch changed dbsnmp so that other had no permissions.  When I
    set my group to Oracle and ran it without ORACLE_HOME set, it did create
    the log files in the current dir (/tmp), but it didn't follow the symlink
    to /.rhosts and create that, so it looks like they did in fact fix it.

    > Finally, Martin Mevald <martinmvat_private> claims that "tnslsnr" suid
    > program is similarly vulnerable under Linux Oracle 8.0.5. Can someone
    > verify this claim? Can someone verify Oracle versions other than Linux for
    > this vulnerability? Can someone let us know whether this binary is part
    > of the Oracle Intelligent Agent? And if so, can someone let us know if
    > the Oracle patch fixes the vulnerability in tnslsnr?

    This binary is not suid on SPARC Solaris 2.6.  I don't believe it is part
    of Intelligent Agent.  If I remember correctly, tnslsnr is the product
    that listens for Oracle connections from other machines, so it's part of
    the core product.

    -Adam