Re: hard-coded windows exploits

From: Gerardo Richarte (core.lists.bugtraq@CORE-SDI.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 11:25:15 PST

    Jeremy Kothe wrote:

    > Just a general note concerning Windows overflows - most (if not all) of the
    > publicly available exploits I have seen floating around are still using
    > hard-coded addresses for system calls.
    >
    > Is this the only way to do this? Note that this method has been around for a
    > while, but I haven't seen any public releases of it. If anyone knows of any
    > other ways....

            I don't think that this is the only way to do it, what about
    using direct
    system calls? you don't need addresses for that, just call INT 2e/2c/2b
    with the
    correct registers...

            I can add to this, that it may be a little harder to do, but
    anyway,
    kernel32.dll calls INTs or calls ntdll.dll that uses INT 2e/2c/2b to
    talk with NT's kernel, so everithing looks like possible with INTs.

            richie

    --
    A390 1BBA 2C58 D679 5A71 - 86F9 404F 4B53 3944 C2D0
    Investigacion y Desarrollo - CoreLabs - Core SDI

    --- For a personal reply use gera@core-sdi.com