Removal of TCP Initial Sequence Number Patch

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 16:08:21 PST

    The following is a Security  Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
    Notification Service.

    Please do not  reply to this message,  as it was sent  from an unattended
    mailbox.
                        ********************************

    On October 22, 1999, Microsoft released Security Bulletin MS99-046,
    discussing the availability of a patch that improves the randomness of TCP
    Initial Sequence Numbers.  However, we recently learned that the patch
    contains a regression error, and as a result, we have removed it from our
    download site.  We are working to correct the error, and will deliver an
    updated version of the patch shortly.  In the meantime, we wanted to provide
    some information on the problem and what customers should do.

    The patch is affected by the same error that recently was announced in
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6.  (Please see
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/SP6/allSP6.asp
    for more information on Service Pack 6).  The effect of the error is to
    prevent some applications from connecting to the server via WINSOCK unless
    run in an administrative context.  The error is not associated with TCP
    Initial Sequence Numbers, nor does it pose any security risk.  If you are
    not experiencing problems with the patch, you can safely leave it in place
    until the updated patch is available.  If you are experiencing problems,
    please see http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/MS99-046faq.asp for
    information on how to remove the patch or apply a temporary workaround.

    A new version of the patch is nearly complete, and we expect to release it
    soon.  When it is available, we will update the bulletin and announce the
    availability of the patch via the Microsoft Product Security Notification
    Service.  We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused by the error.
    Sincerely,

    The Microsoft Product Security Team