Re: Tektronix PhaserLink Webserver Reveals Admin Password

From: elfchiefat_private
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 09:14:50 PST

    > Here are a couple more problems with the Tektronix webserver services:

    And one more: Even in absence of any sort of password- (or password hash-)
    aquiring attack, it's still possible to use up all of someone's consumables
    without a password at all -- No trickery required!

    [Keep in mind that a toner set for a 780 is ~ $600]

    The "configure settings" page (http://printer/button_config.html) has
    a drop-down menu that allows you to print a number of different
    pages (test pages, color samples, startup page). This menu, and the
    functions it performs, do not require a password of any sort. Go to the
    page, select "CMYK Sampler Prints", click the button, and sit back while
    32 pages of toner and paper go away.

    [I reported this to Tektronix more than 6 months ago, at the same time I
     reported a printer-crashing bug. They fell all over themselves to fix
     the crashing bug (with some of the best support I'd ever gotten ... good
     job!), but seemed truly uninterested in stopping random people from being
     able to consume one's toner.]

    Me, I just firewall my damned printer.

    									-WW