Notifying Vendors

From: Kerb (kerbat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 13:42:21 PST

    With the bit of talk of notifying vendors in the past day or two,
    I thought I might throw in my $0.02 and how I do things.

    Notification and how long you wait for response should be
    dependant on usage of the software.  For example, the WU-FTPD
    hole in 2.5.0.  No exploit has been released to date, even though
    2.6.0 is out.  Its a widespread package that would affect a LOT
    of systems if the exploit was just tossed out without giving
    the vendors time to come up with at least a temporary fix
    better than "disable FTP".  I believe that notification is _almost_
    always necessary (except in rare cases like my Alibaba CGI
    bugs, because Alibaba had already demonstrated their lack of
    interest in security of their software).  So basically what I'm
    trying to say is the time you wait for a response from the
    vendor (and/or a patch released) should depend on the
    severity of the hole and how widespread it will be.

    -Kerb-